ModivCare will be managing non-emergency medical transportation services (NEMT) for HHSC’s Managed Transportation Organization Regions 1, 7, 8, 10 and 11 Medicaid, CSHCN and TICP clients, (i.e., those not in a managed care plan or organization (MCO)), who have no other way to get to a Medicaid-covered service.
The following are the basic rules for ordering transportation:
- A client’s family member, care-giver or healthcare provider can request NEMT services for a client.
- ModivCare takes routine transportation requests by phone (1-877-633-8747) or by fax Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Requests may be submitted on-line 24 hours a day.
- Please submit requests for routine transportation 48 hours (2 business days) in advance of the trip.
- Requests for Advanced Funds should be submitted at least 5 business days in advance of the trip.
- Requests for urgent transportation are taken Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. by phone. Requests for emergency medical service do not go through ModivCare and should be directed to 911.
- Public mass transportation is utilized where available for all members.
- Mileage reimbursement is also available to qualified clients.
- If mass transit is available in your area and you are unable to use this form of transportation due to a medical reason your medical provider will be required to complete and sign a Medical Necessity Form (MNF) to verify your level of service. For a copy of the MNF, click here.
- If a healthcare provider has previously requested transportation for a client and has already filled out the MNF, and the medical needs of the client have not changed, then the client may book the ride themselves with ModivCare.
- Transportation for discharges from a hospital must be requested by the healthcare provider or discharge planner.
For more information, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.